|Jewish Junk Journaling for Elul - BEFORE|
How to Make Your Journaling More Effective
Any type of journal that you keep can be beneficial. It doesn’t matter if it’s just to document your life or to work through problems - you can use a journal to do it all. From tracking your projects to documenting vacation to overcoming anxiety, a journal will work for you if you pick the right type and make journaling a ritual.
* Find the Right Medium for You – For some people, that’s pen and paper. Many experts claim that’s the best way because of its simplicity. However, you have to do what works for you, and what works for you is what you will do daily. If you make it too hard, you won’t do it.
* Turn Journaling Daily into a Habit – To be most effective, journaling has to go on for a long time. It’s a long-term strategy to improve your life and not something that is going to have any effect overnight. For this reason, ritualize your journaling so that it becomes a daily habit.
* Set Up a Comfy Journaling Spot – Find a good space you can journal in each day, one which is relaxing and without stress. Some people like to keep their journal by their bedside so that each night when they get into bed, they can quickly write in their journals.
* Choose the Right Style of Journal for Your Needs – The type of journal you want to keep depends on how you plan to use it. You may want to track a project, in which case you’ll need a project journal. If you want to simply document your life, you’d want a classic journal.
* Use Your Journal to Work Through Life and Reach Goals – Don’t just write in the journal; actively seek to improve something in your life - whether it’s the thoughts which drive your feelings or improving your actions so that you experience more success.
|Jewish Junk Journaling Page for Elul - AFTER|
* Read and Reflect Occasionally – Take at least a few minutes to re-read parts of your journal. Once you’ve kept it for a year, it’s fun to go back and read the same day from last year to find out what’s different now and what’s the same and why.
* Keep Your Journal Secure – You don’t want to worry about anyone getting into your private business when you’re not around, so keep it hidden. If it’s on your computer, keep it password protected.
If you know why you want to journal, it’ll be easier to figure out which type of journal you need to keep to make your journaling more effective. Sometimes you just want to document your life, while other times you want to work through something difficult. It really depends on your goals and the point of the journal.
One way to boost your journaling and make it more effective is to focus on kindness. Kindness is like gratitude, it's alway appropriate and it's always in season!
In your personal journaling, the kindness I'm talking about is directed toward YOU. Meaning, it's about you being kind to yourself.
Try reading what follows here with this idea in mind - Today I am going to journal and practice kindness to myself.
You know how you fell when you have a tough day and a stranger smiles at you?
Did you know it works if you stand before a mirror and smile? Try it!
Even this small act of kindness toward the person in the mirror (you) can make a huge impact on your life. Especially if you make a habit of it.
Watch for the effects of your smiling in the mirror to take effect, and then journal your results.
If you want to supercharge the effects, go ahead and speak to yourself out loud. Get started with, "I am being kind to myself today." It's easy and it's true!
Then, consider reading your journal entries to yourself in front of the mirror. At least one sentence or one paragraph. And the ultimate tip for making your Jewish journaling more effective is to turn your journal entries into prayers to God.
You can inspire yourself with kindness at LEAST as much as you can inspire others. And you can share your personal growth in your personal prayers every day.